Sunday, September 18, 2005

The Rolling Stones are the Most Overrated Legendary Rock Band of All Time.

So unless you've just returned from a summer-long missions trip to Tasmania, you've probably heard that the Rolling Stones are touring again. It's probably the big music news of the summer, and has got every radio deejay in any major city (even Pittsburgh!) simply drunk with giddiness. Ticket prices at the venues in our area started at $250 for floor level seats--and that's through TicketMaster, not even scalped yet!

I can only speculate as to your thoughts on the subject, if indeed you have any. If you're like me, you were born too early to have caught any part of the Stones' heyday, but you were born at such a time as to witness the band making (one can only hope, for their own sakes) maybe their last go-round, without exception being celebrated by the masses for their collective body of work.

If you're even more like me, you don't understand the fuss. In fact, if you are me, you think the Rolling Stones are perhaps the most overrated legendary rock band ever.

There is no doubt they are a legendary band. The fact that they have been around, practically unchanged since before man walked on the moon, grants them undisputed legend status. The fact that they can put on a show more than forty years after their first album earns my respect. I just don't think they're quite as great as so many people make them out to be.

I love a lot of Rolling Stones' songs--there might even be four or five that would crack a list of my 100 favourite songs. My complaint with the hubbub about the Stones is not the same as my confusion about the legendary status of Jim Morrison as "An American Poet"--at least I realize the Stones are a good band.

I don't even think I'm in the dark because I didn't live when they were in their prime, when they were revolutionary. This is similar to how people say "The Graduate" was a ground-breaking film in it's day but now isn't worth the price of a rental. Deejays don't build up the Stones as a band that changed rock n roll forever and therefore we should still celebrate them today. Deejays frequently call the Stones the greatest rock n roll band ever. I just don't get it.

Mick Jagger is great as a frontman. He's never not been ugly, and is altogether lacking as a lyricist, but is still a good lead guy to have. Keith Richards is even uglier then Mick and doesn't even hold a candle to any of the truly great guitarists of his day.

The Rolling Stones boast an ok frontman and an ordinary lead guitarist; as a group they haven't done enough to be considered revolutionary; as musicians they haven't had much success straying from their formulaic, almost predictable core style; and they've only just barely survived a rock scene in their lifetime that often was unhealthy enough to make them the only band left standing.

It seems to me that the only thing they really have going for them is that they've lasted. They're sixty-something and people are paying thousands of dollars to be in their audience for a few hours. It's beyond me, but it's one thing I can't knock them for. They sell. They've always sold.

Just please don't make them out to be more than they are. It grates my ears to hear deejays proclaim them the greatest rock n roll band of all time, or introduce "Satisfaction" as the greatest rock n roll song of all time. They're a good band that has lasted. Nothing more.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Exactly. Rolling Stones are one of the most overrated bands of all time.

Anonymous said...

I can think of many bands that are are better than the Stones. In Fact, MUCH better:


The Beatles, The Doors, Pink Floyd(my personal favorite), ACDC, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, Boston, Queen, Bob Segar and the Silver Bullet Band, Led Zepplin, The Who, and etc.

Talk about feeling, rhythm, great song writing, guitar playing, legendary front men, and etc. from all those bands.

Rolling Stones? Gimme a break.

Anonymous said...

So why do they still sell more than any other act in the world? If there is anything left to their former glory, this would be it. Study their PR, business models, timing of events, releases and promos, watch all the nuances and you pop the bubble. MASS MARKETING MASTERS. The concerts are secondary. Add history, nostalgia and all the elements bandied about by this group of opportunists and you have the secret.

Anonymous said...

Agreed.

I think the Stones stopped being relevant after Brian Jones left.

And, even then, they couldn't hold a candle to the Beatles or Zeppelin, IMO.

Anonymous said...

Well not to be rude but they achieved more than you ever will and they are sitting in their mansions right know and don't really care about your opinion so you don't mean much to them. To still be able to sing and make music GREAT at 60 years old is amazing to me.

Anonymous said...

Haha, let's not get personal!(above...) But I also think the stones are overrated. Look at the critics and they will most likely rant and rave about them. Though actual consumer reviews don't seem as enthusiastic.

Anonymous said...

You are an idiot, simply an absolute idiot. You have nothing to back up them been overrated, just your naive opinion. Do some research into their history, how they came to be, and what they origionally played. Then take some lessons, on genre's, what they are, and distinction between one another!

Anonymous said...

I heard someone in college (back in 2000) say that the Stones were overrated. I had never really listened to them much at that time, other than what I heard on the radio..so, his statement to me was something I kinda agreed with at that time. Then I heard a band play a cover of "Torn and Frayed" from the 'Exile on Main St.' album (I had heard that this album was supposed to be one of the Stones' best). I liked the song so much that I thought about buying the CD. I remembered my college chum's statement, and I thought I would give the Stones a try to see what the hubbub was about. I am glad I did. As you hear with so many other bands..."some of their best stuff is what is NOT on the radio". I ended up loving that CD so much, that I bought Sticky Fingers, Goat Heads Soup, and everything else from the Mick Taylor years. I have now wandered into some Ron Wood era (Some Girls) and backwards to the Brian Jones era (Beggars Banquet). I have heard bad and good about all of the Stones albums I don't have, but I think I may end up giving them a try too.

They may not be the best as far as being 'technical musicians', but their music (from what I have anyway) really has something that I have not heard in a lot of other bands. I cannot explain it...but I like it!

So, if you haven't already, give the Stones albums a real try (instead of the old radio staples)and see if your opinion of them changed like mine did.

Seabass said...

^Above

The only sensible comment so far

Anonymous said...

Except for The Beatles, who really did what people say they did and deserve all the credit they get, every other legenday band is overrated.
Still, it's simply a fact that The Rolling Stones are the second greatest band of all time, although I don't think The Stones are that much overrated if you compare them to Led Zeppelin.
You can't get more overrated than Led Zeppelin, folks.

Anonymous said...

No, they are not.
The problem is that the vast majority of people (especially younger crowds) don't know how to listen to the classics and end up drawing hasty and distorted conclusions about the bands.
Do some BASIC RESEARCH about the Rolling Stones. Many people simply don't uderstand the impact, importance, influence they had not only on music, but on society and culture in the 60's. Nothing sounded like them. There was nothing like those guys in the 60's, they were pioneers of Rock & Roll and that's vital to understand their music. They pretty much defined the 60's and changed the world, together with the Beatles. They LITERALLY changed the world, people.
You can't listen to music without putting it into context and understanding the period it was made and what it meant. The Rolling Stones shaped Rock & Roll from its very beginnings and it's impossible to imagine Rock music without them. They are one of the main reponsibles for making it what it is and developing it.
So, please, get smart. Don't go around talking abouth things you don't really know about and draw hasty conclusions about a whole band simply by some 5 or 6 songs that you listened on the radio. Grow up!

Anonymous said...

No, they are not.
The problem is that the vast majority of people (especially younger crowds) don't know how to listen to the classics and end up drawing hasty and distorted conclusions about the bands.
Do some BASIC RESEARCH about the Rolling Stones. Many people simply don't uderstand the impact, importance, influence they had not only on music, but on society and culture in the 60's. Nothing sounded like them. There was nothing like those guys in the 60's, they were pioneers of Rock & Roll and that's vital to understand their music. They pretty much defined the 60's and changed the world, together with the Beatles. They LITERALLY changed the world, people.
You can't listen to music without putting it into context and understanding the period it was made and what it meant. The Rolling Stones shaped Rock & Roll from its very beginnings and it's impossible to imagine Rock music without them. They are one of the main reponsibles for making it what it is and developing it.
So, please, get smart. Don't go around talking abouth things you don't really know about and draw hasty conclusions about a whole band simply by some 5 or 6 songs that you listened on the radio. Grow up!

Anonymous said...

The first time I listened to Exile on Main St., I hated and saw nothing special in it. Gave it a couple of more spins, and now it's my favorite album. Fucking masterpiece.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if there is any point (at this point especially) in posting anything about this, but I have to agree with the original premise. However, tip to the writer: don't sound so contradictory or sloppy with your logic. Also, have some definitive ideas to back up your opinions.

Anonymous said...

"They pretty much defined the 60's and changed the world, together with the Beatles. They LITERALLY changed the world, people."

did it change for the better? just wondering cause the US went to war shortly after that in the 70s. killed a lot of innocent farmers and their families.

I don't know how you define 'the world', but i suggest you should go travel more often.

Anonymous said...

The Beatles and The Rolling Stones, both are the most overrated bands ever.

Anonymous said...

The Rolling Stones had 1 maybe 2 good songs that I don't mind listening to, that being said, the fact that people list them as the 'Greatest Rock Band' means they are unmeasurably overrated. Pink Floyd has Several Albums worth of songs that are great, and they for some reason don't make the greatest bands lists anywhere. As TV has proven, your average person is an idiot, that's why people list things this way. :/

Unknown said...

I thought the Beatles got to the point where they could sing the Liverpool phone directory and their fans would think it was genius. No friends, you liked it because you were just as stoned as the Beatles themselves. And speaking of which, most of the Stones best stuff came from the Brian Jones era. After that a good bit here and there.