Monday, March 24, 2008

"Sheet of Integrity"

Listeners to the Mike and Mike morning show on ESPN radio will recognize the title phrase. "Sheet of Integrity" refers to, as I have recently become convicted, what a sports fan is obligated to stick with when participating in multiple NCAA tournament pools. 2008 is the first year that I have limited myself to one "Sheet of Integrity."

Every year I hear the same self-justification from fellow pool junkies: "I have Teams A, B, C, and D in the Final Four for my office bracket, but I entered Teams B, C, F, and J in my Cousin Vinnie's pool." I admit that I have been guilty of succumbing to the temptation to post different brackets in different pools. Mike Golic's reasoning was enough to convict and convert me. I am hereafter a one-bracket per year guy.

Advantages:
- Adds to the tension with each game. One bracket makes each pick more of a do-or-die scenario.
- Legitimizes boasting about correct upset picks. If you had all your money on Team X making the Final Four when no one else did, you have sole bragging rights. If you picked against Team X on your other three brackets, you lose all credibility.

Disadvantages:
- If you have a crucial team fall early, you lose all your money in all your pools early.
- Not only do you lose money, but you likely lose much interest.


Win or lose, Opening Day is just a few weeks away!

2 comments:

Joel said...

i love mike and mike, and i, too am a recent "convert" to the sheet of integrity. i filled out a bracket on yahoo early on as my "instinct" bracket, but hold to my own pool's bracket as my sheet of integrity. here's to xavier in the final four and memphis winning it all.

Joel said...

just as a follow up, mike greenberg of mike & mike romped gollick on their sheet of integrity to win the bet. however, (and this is a perfect example of what you can't stand), gollick won the espn pool because he entered a completely different bracket with kansas winning. disgraceful.