Thursday, April 15, 2010

Caesar's Rendering

Earlier this year, I took advantage of the graciousness of my employer and used a vacation day (carry-over from 2009) to avoid traveling during a snowstorm. I took advantage of the snow day by filing the appropriate Scott Pearce Family Tax Return documents for 2009. Some observations:

- I have been, and continue to be grateful to God that our government encourages Christian tithing by allowing those monies to be deducted from one's income.

- By giving tax breaks to families who pay for child care, the federal government encourages an activity that weakens families. Tax breaks for child care also make it easier for families to live as two-income families; the increased prevalence of two-income families adds increased financial pressure to families committed to living on one income.

- There are several ways in which Income is qualified as Earned Income or Other on the tax forms. Income that is not earned is certainly not a new phenomenon, but the stigma attached to unduly benefiting from the work/property of others has hardly been lower than it is today.

- Because we wrapped our furnace pipes with insulation in October, we received a "tax break" equivalent to a few pennies. The federal government would like me to believe that it has rewarded my behavior by giving me those few pennies as incentive. Because I am smarter than the federal government thinks I is, I know that the insulation was placed as an act in *gasp* my own self interest. In the form of lower natural gas costs this winter, the insulation saved us the equivalent of a payment on Becca's car. In the form of tax break "incentives" the federal government ensured that we can stock the car with one (1) air freshener.

- I will always strive to "render unto Caesar what is Caesar's" with a submissive and willing spirit, but I will also always fervently pray for and hopefully vote for leaders who will tax me less. Dollar for dollar, I can do more good with my wealth and property than can any government on earth.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Good points, Babe. I especially like the point about tax breaks for day care.

Joel said...

I never thought about the tax breaks for day care, but I think your thoughts are right on. What about a tax break for families with mothers who willingly choose to stay home and raise their kids?

Kyle said...

I disagree with the idea that tax breaks for day care cause broken families, for more than a few reasons. First both of my parents worked while I was a kid and both of April's parents worked. While I won't say that either family was perfect, I would say that they were strong Christian homes that raised decent kids.

Also like your tax refund on insulation, the refund on day care is not going to make or break your budget. The refund acknowledges that raising a child can be expensive and that some people could use a break on it. I think it is right of the government to help out those who truly need it. For example, the day care tax break is not going cause single parent homes, but it will provide them some relief.

Honestly the problem is our material culture that prioritizes keeping up with the Jones over living for your family. April and I have decided that our family is more important than the American Dream, more important than stuff. For most of the middle class this is a hard choice to make.

Scott Pearce said...

Thanks for your input, Kyle. I was careful to choose the word 'weaken' and did not make a direct cause/effect statement regarding day care and broken homes. (I think 'deteriorate' might also be an appropriate word choice.)

There is no argument to be made for even the best day care approximating the care of an ordinary parent (unbeliever or not). Except in unusual situations involving (for example) an alcoholic or abusive parent, day care is always a lesser option compared to parental care.

Regardless of the dollar amount, a tax break related to day care expenses encourages an activity that has negative impacts almost 100% of the time. Reducing the pain (read: expense) of day care makes day care a more desirable option. It follows that those who are committed to remaining one-income families suffer.